I find myself in Copacabana, Bolivia... alone... extremely happy in some moments and slightly sad in others. How is it that at times you can watch a beautiful sunset and feel so blessed and full remembering all fond memories from your past... and then other times you're watching wondering about all the people in your life, whether they're watching the same sunet, feeling slightly empty staring at the vast miracle that is a sunset????
I dropped my parents off at the airport in Juliaca, Peru yesterday and then spent the day wandering around kinda in a daze... trying to think of all the things I needed to do that I had been putting off. Also trying to decide NOW WHAT?! Do I backpack my way around the next two and a half months and see a whole bunch of amazing stuff, or do I find another meaningful volunteer experience here in Bolivia or Chile (which abound)??? Then there's the ongoing dilema of: do I continue with my plan to attend grad school in D.C. in August, or do I look for a program here, or do I just keep working/volunteering my way around this amazing world we live in?
AHHHHHHHHHHH! NOW WHAT GOD?
Wasn't this year supposed to give me time to figure a few of these things out? Wasn't less supposed to be up in the air than at this time last year?!
I spent last night on the internet communicating with friends from high school, friends from University, family, friends from Arequipa, and several friends from the jungle. It was wonderful and hard... nostalgia is a difficult feeling when you're dealing with an unsure future. Everyone seems to have a good idea for what I should do with my time (read: my life), but none of them seem to help me find clarity on which path I'm GOING to take.
The bottom line is that God knows, right? Even when I feel like I'm wandering or just following a whim - He knows why he's put that path, or those people, in front of me... there is a purpose to every beautiful, amazing, awe-inspiring thing or person I encounter. I WILL find it, make decisions, and understand... someday. Until then, I'm following my heart... even if it disappoints or upsets others who don't understand! :)
Ok, enough interspective rambling...
Lake Titicaca is gorgeous from any and every angle I've decided. Like I mentioned I'm now on the Bolivian side. After several border crossing experiences, this was my first where it was DECIDEDLY more difficult to enter the country as an American... usually it's one look at the USA passport and you're passed right along smoothly... this time is was "ooo, American, come over here and have a seat." Well, I was in for waiting in a long line, two trips to the copy store, searching for proof of my Yellow Fever vaccination, paying a $135 fee (part of which I had to pay in Peruvian Soles, cause I'd already changed my US dollars to Bolivianos... talk about confusing), and filling out three different forms with all the same information! BUT, walking across the border was pretty cool, and at least I got an entire page of my passport stickered, stamped, and signed for my efforts! And they were quick to remind me that it costs them $140 to enter the US for only one month, and at least my visa here is good for five years! Hmmm, guess turn about is fairplay, huh? It was pretty funny, cause I hooked up with three Sweedish girls on the bus and they all got through immigration in about 2 seconds and then waited for me (nice girls.. plus I was serving as their translator)! They thought it was pretty entertaining that they didn't have to pay a dime and it cost me an arm and a leg! It's been nice to hang out with them a little bit today though... got to eat some straight from the lake fresh trout, saw a blessing of cars in front of the main cathedral, and got to see an absolutely GORGEOUS sunset over the lake.
Tomorrow it's off to this side of the lake's claim to fame, yet another island, Island of the Sun. I will go with my three new friends, Matilda, Maya, and Lina... we will trek up to four hours across the island to catch the last boat back around 5pm... wish us luck! Then the plan is up to the top of a mountain where there are the fourteen stages of the cross where pilgrims from all over the world anually make pilgrimages... to watch the sunset again! We hope!
Oh, and by the way, I will try to post more pics of mom and dad's visit when the opportunity arises. And Drew, I know how much you love hearing about what I'm eating each day (not), so I thought everyone else might enjoy knowing what all my parents tried in just six days (they made it home safe and sound by the way)! The ate: Guinea pig, Alpaca, Cow heart and intestines, Ceviche (raw fish and urchin etc. only "cooked" in lemon juice), Ricoto relleno (stuffed pepper), Chicharon (fried pork), a type of corn with cheese, pastries, fruits, and juices (wouldn't go for the frog juice though... darn) and lots of other stuff I can't remember (mmmmm, like crepes). As my dad put it, they ate their way through Peru one meal or snack at a time!
Until soon, KK
Kate,
ReplyDeleteHere is my advice on what you should do - Jeremiah 29:11 then listen to His voice.
Audrey
i don't have a plan for you, but know that wherever you go i will FIND you. DC, South America, or anywhere. I will find you. and we can eat more corn and cheese and chicharon (what i would do for more friend pork!). one thought i am trying to wrestle with in my moral theology class is that sometime there are no "bad" decisions. i think we like to make charts and lists to determine what is the best thing to do. but sometime ALL of the options are good, so you just have to pick one and run with it. i guess what i am trying to say is that you can't make a wrong decision. you have the rest of your life to do the other things. and I will find you!
ReplyDeleteHahaha! Thanks Brit! I have no doubt... you WILL find me! :) Seriously, thanks to you and Souf for always being there to lift me up and to help me realize there are no BAD decisions! Also, thanks to Audrey... looking up the scripture to remember, right now!
ReplyDeleteSounds like my kind of ride, when I was your age. :)
ReplyDeleteGlad you are safe and sound and had the experience. Praying for you daily.
Audrey