The things that continue to surprise me... and oh the things that don't! :)
Imagine: A 7 hour VERY bumpy car ride with me (the glow in the dark foreigner), the driver, my boss Jackson, a colleague Rose and her two kids... Folo 6 yrs and Mama 10 yrs... plus our baggage, plus a month's supply of mineral water and food! All that in a white NGO jeep... add in a stop to "check the tires" (potty break), a stop for some cow meat and rice (which was the most unrecognizable, hairy, chewy, mostly inedible excuse for meat I have maybe ever seen) mixed with hot peppers... needless to say yours truly ate mostly rice, and one final stop to buy me a $40 used cell phone ($5 sim card)... go figure it doesn't work! Man oh man... my luck with locals and pawn shops (or booths that sell stolen goods)! Whether here or Peru... cameras or cell phones! If it was up to me, I wouldn't even have one, but between having to call for drivers, the torrential downpours, going out to the camps, etc. they have assured me I must have a working one... and have therefore provided one for me! ;)
So here's the tally: 6 broken down cars/jeeps, 4 broken down trucks, one major accident, and 8,000+ crater-sized holes in the "road."
Oh, and we have a "housekeeper..." named Albertha. I don't like it. Don't get me wrong, she's super duper nice... but there are oh so many reasons it makes me ever so uncomfortable!!!
Anyway, there are a million more things to say as I went to my first inter-agency meeting on sanitation in the camps and host communities this morning, as well as spent my first day in the office! But, alas it's quiting times and the rains are about to begin... gotta go!
Until soon!
KK
Hi amiga! I am so relieved that you have arrived safe and sound. I also feel your pain and frustration at being the "foreigner" and traversing vast lands to get to where you are. I have no doubts that it will get better! Now that you have a home post you will be able to cook more foods of your own choosing, I am sure. Did you take any of those granola bars or snacks with you? Jaime y yo te mandamos un abrazo fuerte :-)
ReplyDeleteI LOVE the idea of a blog to keep us all up-to-date on your life in Liberia. Genius! Keep it coming, be safe, have fun, learn a lot. :)
ReplyDeleteYea! Thanks for checkin in y'all! Yeah, so far super safe, having a great time, and of course I'm learning a ton! Thanks for the hugs and thoughts!
ReplyDelete